Our Family

Our Family
Cori, Layla and Matt

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Sugar is Bad, and Yet Oh So Good!!!

We went this week for our regular doctor's appointment with the added fun of a glucose test to screen for gestational diabetes and a RhoGAM shot (in the butt, ouch!). We arrived and were sent directly to the lab to get a glucose drink, basically sugar in a 10 oz bottle that is fruit punch flavored. You get 5 min to drink the whole thing and then must wait an hour. It really is disgusting stuff! I was pretty light headed and nauseous after chugging it, not something I would recommend first thing in the morning...

We went through our normal exam while we waited and our doctor found that my uterus was measuring a bit small for 29 weeks. She said that to be sure the baby was developing properly, she would send us over for an ultrasound. I then got the horrible RhoGAM shot which is required if you have a negative blood type (had some trouble walking for the rest of the day, though Matthew found it utterly hysterical). I have another one to look forward to when the baby is born as well, yay!

After waiting out the rest of the hour I had my blood drawn for the glucose test and hope to find out the results soon. If I do not pass the one hour test, I have to go back to do the 3 hour test, which consists of 3 disgusting sugar drinks and waiting around for 3 hours, trying not to throw up...here's hoping I pass!

We then went directly across town to our impromptu utlrasound. It was wonderful to see our little peanut! She is getting so big and has absolutely beautiful features from what I could tell, though I may be biased :) We were also offered a 3D picture of her, however our ever stubborn daughter would not cooperate. She kept covering her face with her hands making it impossible for the tech to get a good picture where she didn't resemble a mutant. So although we didn't get a 3D picture we did learn that she is healthy and growing just fine. She is a little bit small, but let's face it, Matt and I are not big people and I doubt I am destined for those crazy 12lb babies. She is however weighing in within normal range at 2lbs 14oz and my uterus measured small because she was folded in half in the breach position at the time. It was exciting to see her, as always, and we are really looking forward to meeting her in a few short months!

No comments:

Post a Comment