Our Family

Our Family
Cori, Layla and Matt

Monday, March 8, 2010

A First Cold is Not So Hot :(

A few weeks ago Layla and I set out on our very first trip, just the two of us to head home to Chicago for a visit (Matt came about a week later). The flight was definitely a different experience than the one at Christmas. I was dealing with a baby that is two months older and therefore, has a lot more interest in what is going on and gets frustrated with sitting for hours on end much more quickly. All in all though, she was very well behaved and we survived the flight just fine. Of course Layla is such a peach that we had countless strangers stopping by our seat to tell me how adorable she is...like I don't already know :)

It was wonderful to be home visiting my family, however, just before we left Matt and I had accomplished a major goal by getting Layla to sleep through the night. When we arrived home I knew it would be an adjustment period for her especially because it was a new place and Daddy was not around, but I had NO IDEA it would be as difficult as it was. It took Layla over a week to get adjusted to the new surroundings and time zone. I was pretty much on my own because Matt was still in Seattle and my mom was terribly sick with a cold. Then, shortly before Matt arrived, I came down with a cold. Of course I tried my best to keep it from Layla, but it's nearly impossible to keep my distance from her while breastfeeding. By the time we left to head back to Seattle, she had a little cough but I thought she would not get it as badly as I did...I was wrong.

After being home for a day (Layla was very happy to see her crib, btw), her cough got much worse and her nose became a faucet. I have never seen someone look so pathetic, I felt so bad for her, though I'm pretty sure she knows how to work her audience. I have done my very best to comfort her and make her feel better, unfortunately it is a really bad cold that is taking it's sweet time running it's course. She is finally starting to feel a little bit better and was full of smiles today, but she is still wanting to cuddle a lot so I would imagine it will take a few more days. Luckily for me, I am feeling much better and can only hope for the same for Layla very quickly! She was however, very generous and decided to share her cold with Daddy as well...Matt probably has another week of feeling crappy to look forward to :( I think I have managed to deal with the first cold pretty well and though I do not look forward to it, I have a feeling that I will have plenty of snotty noses in my future to deal with, especially once she is socializing with other children. Play groups are really just the place to go to build up your kid's immune system, aren't they? Germ central!

No comments:

Post a Comment